“The manufacturer should provide directions for use, including the medium and conditions to be used for the recovery of micro-organisms after exposure to the sterilization process.”
– USP <1035>
Tryptic Soy Broth
Soybean Casein Digest Broth is the recommended media (as per USP) for use with Biological Indicators. Use of another media may detrimentally affect outgrowth of spore. Mesa’s TSB is manufactured and tested to meet USP and NCCLS sterility and growth promotion guidelines. It is also specially formulated for use with our spore products. Mesa recommends the use of DIFCO brand media by Becton Dickinson.
Mesa Labs manufactures prepared culture media specially formulated for use with our spore products. Other formulations are also available for various microbiological tests.
Mesa has received 510k notification for a reduced incubation time of 24 hours for its spore strips used in steam sterilization when cultured with Mesa’s tryptic soy broth with bromocresol purple.
A reduced incubation time of 24 hours at 60°C +/- 2°C has been validated for steam sterilization when the Mesa Bacterial Spore Strip (either the single species G. stearothermophilus spore strip or the dual species spore strip) is used in conjunction with Mesa’s Modified Tryptic Soy Broth with Bromocresol Purple. 510k information available upon request.
Prepared Media is packaged in Type I borosilicate glass tubes with polypropylene screw-caps (white rubber liners). Available sizes: 16mm x 100mm, and 20mm x 100 mm test tubes. Also available in 500ml and 1L screw capped, pourable bottles. Other sizes available upon request.
Population Assay Materials
Our Population Assay Materials contain everything required to perform accurate population assays of Mesa Labs’ biological indicator products.
Needed materials include:
- Detailed population assay instructions (see ‘Products’ tab)
- One (1) 250ml Wheaton bottle containing 240ml growth medium (PAK-M)
- Four (4) 19.5 x 145mm sterilized flat-bottom tubes with four (4) 6mm glass beads (PAK-G)
- Twelve (12) 16 x 125mm sterilized dilution blank tubes (PAK-G)
- Eight (8) 1ml pipettes (PAK-G)
- Eight (8) 2ml pipettes (PAK-G)
- Two (2) 5ml pipettes (PAK-G)
- Two (2) 10ml pipettes (PAK-G)
Glassware and pipettes only
Growth medium only (240ml)
PAK-M* (with Difco media)
* - Use both product codes for complete population assay materials