“The manufacturer should provide directions for use, including the medium and conditions to be used for the recovery of micro-organisms after exposure to the sterilization process.”
– USP <1229.5>
Tryptic Soy Broth
Soybean Casein Digest Broth is the recommended media for use with Biological Indicators. Use of another media may detrimentally affect outgrowth of spores. Mesa’s TSB with Bromocresol purple pH indicator is specially formulated for use with our biological indicators
A reduced incubation time of 24 hours at 60 °C +/- 2 °C has been validated for steam sterilization when the Mesa Bacterial Spore Strip (either the single species G. stearothermophilus spore strip or the dual species spore strip) is used in conjunction with Mesa’s Modified Tryptic Soy Broth with Bromocresol Purple. 510k information available upon request.
Mesa recommends Difco TSA and TSB for use in verifying the certified label claims for our products. Mesa uses Difco media in-house for the manufacture and QC testing of our products.
Prepared Media is packaged in 16mm x 100mm Type I borosilicate glass tubes with polypropylene screw-caps (white rubber liners).
Population Assay Materials
Our Population Assay Materials contain everything required to perform accurate population assays of Mesa Labs’ biological indicator products.
Needed materials include:
- Detailed population assay instructions (see ‘Products’ tab)
- One (1) 250ml Wheaton bottle containing 240ml growth medium (PAK-M)
- Four (4) 19.5 x 145mm sterilized flat-bottom tubes with four (4) 6mm glass beads (PAK-G)
- Twelve (12) 16 x 125mm sterilized dilution blank tubes (PAK-G)
- Eight (8) 1ml pipettes (PAK-G)
- Eight (8) 2ml pipettes (PAK-G)
- Two (2) 5ml pipettes (PAK-G)
- Two (2) 10ml pipettes (PAK-G)
Glassware and pipettes only
Growth medium only (240ml)
PAK-M* (with Difco media)
* - Use both product codes for complete population assay materials