Weekly biological monitoring (i.e., spore testing) is the standard of practice across the country for dental practitioners.
Mesa Labs is an industry leader in providing sterilizer monitoring solutions including mail-in and in-office spore testing, chemical indicators and record keeping. Learn more about achieving compliance with CDC, ADA and AAMI guidelines by clicking here.
Mesa Labs offers a complete line of spore strips for sterility testing in various sterilization environments for both Healthcare and Industrial applications. Mesa’s products are manufactured in accordance with USP Guidelines and the US Food & Drug Administration’s Quality System Regulations.
- Geobacillus stearothermophilus* – For use in steam sterilization at 121.1°C (250° F) to 135°C (275° F), Low Temperature Steam w/Formaldehyde and Chemiclave®. After exposure to sterilant, incubate strips at 55-60°C.
- Bacillus atrophaeus* – For use in Ethylene Oxide (600 mg/L), Dry Heat Sterilization (D-value calculated at 160°C), and formaldehyde fumigation. After exposure to sterilant, incubate strips at 30-35°C.
- Combined Species Spore Strips – G. stearothermophilus* (105) and B. atrophaeus* (106) on each strip. For use in Steam, EO, Dry Heat or Chemiclave® sterilizers.
24-Hour Incubation Claim
The Biological Spore Strips with Modified Tryptic Soy Broth with Bromocresol Purple (single species G. stearothermophilus ATCC #7953 or dual species G. stearothermophilus ATCC #7953 and B. atrophaeus ATCC #9372) are intended for use in testing the efficacy of steam sterilization cycles at 121°C-135°C. A reduced incubation time of 24 hours at 60°C +/- 2°C has been validated for steam sterilization when the Bacterial Spore Strip manufactured at Mesa’s Omaha Manufacturing Facility (either the single species G. stearothermophilus spore strip or the dual species spore strip) is used in conjunction with the Modified Tryptic Soy Broth with Bromocresol Purple also manufactured at Mesa’s OMF. For more information on reduced incubation time for this product, please see our report here:
D-values are within suggested ranges mentioned in USP and suitable for hospital use. Mesa also provides spore strips that comply with EN/ISO and other international requirements. Mesa follows USP in recommending Tryptic Soy Broth (SCDB) as a recovery medium. Use of any other medium may adversely affect results.
1) Bags of 100 strips; clear plastic resealable bag.
* Derived from recognized reference strains as specified within USP, ISO or EN guidelines. These products are not certified as being representative of the reference strain and they should therefore not be used where a reference culture is specified.
Spore strips are in Schleicher & Schuell filter paper (#470) – size 6.4mm x 38.1mm – packaged in a peel open glassine paper pouch. Glassine paper is permeable to sterilant but resistant to moisture and air at ambient temperature/pressure. This allows the user to transport the strip within the glassine from the sterilizer to a laminar flow hood, where it can be transferred into recovery medium. Populations of strips are typically from 1.0 X 10n to 4.0 X 10n. Lot number and expiration date are printed on each glassine.
Mesa’s spore strips are certified for Species, Population, D-value, z-value (where appropriate) and Expiry.
Expiration is two years from date of manufacture.
RCT Kit – Spore Strips & for Culturing Strips In-house – 24-Hour incubation when used in Steam at 121-135°C.
Catalog # C-1080P – contains 25 combined spore strips and 25 test tubes of specially formulated media (TSB w/acid indicator).
Catalog # C-1081P – contains 100 combined spore strips and 100 test tubes of media.
Other populations, other species, and other carriers are available for industrial uses. Please see our Industrial BIs page.